Sunday 11 September 2016

Help - I'm on Holiday!

Sometimes it has to be done!
I'm in Cornwall. On holiday. In term time. How strange. At this point I should remind you all that I am risk averse. Now a holiday in Cornwall may not seem particularly extreme in terms of risk, but I stress so much about things, that going away from home is quite nightmarish for me. Will the accommodation be okay? Will the journey be incident free and safe? Will it rain every day?
Logically I know that these are not things that should cause any sane person serious amounts of angst, but being away from home is not comfortable for me.
My husband says,'But you booked it!' And this is invariably the case. People expect you to like holidays. And I like the idea of holidays, and really want to embrace them. So I book cottages and gites, and look forward to seeing new places. And then it's time to go...
My family and friends love holidays - they all go off to exotic destinations without a second thought. And I really wish I could do the same, but the thought of an airport, let alone an aeroplane...ugh! I have just about learned to cope with a ferry terminal and a boat!
In the run up to my retirement, everyone asked what my plans were and talked about all the term time holidays I would be able to have. I joined in and discussed the endless possibilities, too embarrassed to be able to admit that I'd rather stay at home!
In my defence, it's in my genes - my lovely Mum was just the same. My Dad had travelled the world during the war, and wanted to share new places with her, but Mum was less than enamoured of this. She would always say that, given the choice, she would happily stay at home.

Once I am actually on holiday, and the accommodation is fine, we got there safely and it isn't raining everyday, I usually enjoy myself. After all, I do book some lovely places to visit!

Lovely place in Cornwall

But I do wish that I could be more adventurous. It feels ridiculous that I am limiting my experiences to such a degree. Maybe, as I get even older and there's absolutely no point in avoiding risk, I'll fly around the world in search of new adventures. Or maybe I'll satisfy myself with a Cornish Pasty and a cream tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment