Wednesday 28 September 2016

Bedtime Stories: Cheap Thrill #8

Love being a Nanny!

Yesterday was my grandson’s second birthday. Technically he’s my step-grandson, but he’s always known me as “Nanny”, so it doesn't matter one bit!
My step son and his family live about an hour’s drive away, which means that a casual ‘drop-in’ is not really practical, so we look forward to seeing them when we can.
Yesterday was especially exciting, as we got to see our granddaughter arrive home from school too. She only started ‘big school’ this term, and it was lovely to hear her talking so positively about her teacher even though she’d only done ‘things’ yesterday, apparently!
After the mandatory present opening, fish and chip supper, candle blowing and cake eating, it was time for bed.
Luckily for me, other nanny (Nonna) was chosen for bath time, (only lucky because it involved lots of poo, I think!) but I was asked if I would read the bedtime story. What an honour! 

A Christmas story? In September?

The book was solemnly chosen - Angelina’s Christmas (!) - and both the soon-to-be five year old and the newbie two year old sat next to me on the bed and listened while I read, looking at the pictures, and not noticing the slight editing of the ‘wordy’ bits. It was so lovely, and even though its only September, reading the Christmas tale together meant that we were sharing in a little bit of joint anticipation. 

I wonder how it ended?

Reading stories to children is one of the simplest ways of sharing experience and bonding. I recall that when I was a newly single parent, and my children were about 11 and 14, I started to read ‘My Friend Walter’ to them. They were too old to listen to their silly Mum reading to them really, but they subconsciously recognised my need to revisit a safer and happier time, and humoured me by laying on the bed listening to me. I think the TV series based on the book got ahead of my reading, and sadly, I don't think we ever finished it, but I do remember how close it made us all feel, and how it reinforced our belief that, somehow, everything would be alright.

So if you have children available to you (please don't steal any) then share a story with them - it really is one of life’s most joyous experiences! 

2 comments: