Saturday 20 August 2016

Getting my Ducks in a Row...


Having a career that is all consuming, mentally, physically and emotionally leaves very little space in life for anything else. When I made the decision that I was going to retire at the end of the school year in which I reached 60, I didn't really give this fact much thought. Other people did though. 
Everyone asked, ‘What are your plans?’; ‘What are you going to do?’ Initially I responded with a snort of derision and the comment,’I’ve been doing stuff every day of my working life, now I’m going to do nothing!’ 
Inside, though, I knew that even in my most inert sitting mode, I would eventually need something to challenge and motivate me. So I started to assemble hobbies. 

For Christmas last year I requested, and received a shiny new sewing machine. A camera followed for my birthday. I reacquainted myself with people from my old tennis club, and dusted down my running shoes. I also treated myself to a new bike, with a stylish helmet and my friends and colleagues presented me with some new gardening equipment when I left work. A positive smorgasbord of activities!


(It should be noted at this point that I haven't included reading in this list: reading is not a hobby, it is as important to me as eating and sleeping. I have a stack of books by my bed, and have a panic attack if there is not at least one new one to start when I’ve completed the current ‘read’. The novelty will be having time to read during the day!)


Watching the Olympics has distracted me from my new hobbies, but reading my friend and fellow blogger’s Wish List Wednesday (http://www.thesaltedtail.com) reminded me of a book that my daughter bought me to inspire me to make some of my own clothes.



With renewed inspiration, I chose the easiest looking item in the book and bought myself some fabric! So far, I have transferred the pattern onto tissue paper (a mission in itself) and am now awaiting delivery of my new left-handed scissors so I can progress further. I may, or may not write about the outcome at a later date, depending on what that outcome turns out to be - stylish gingham top, or lots of fabric to make gingham bunting. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment