Wednesday 24 August 2016

A Proper Freebie! Cheap Thrill #3


Last weekend we enjoyed a proper freebie - a preview of the film ‘Captain Fantastic’ This was not, as you may think, a high action comic-based film, but a drama about a man who is bringing up his children in a most unconventional way, and their journey together when catastrophe happens. 
I’d read about this film and it was on my ‘must see’ list. I love indie films that are quirky and thought provoking, and this really appealed to me. I had literally just checked to see if it was on any time soon when I had a message from my daughter in Sheffield. She’d spotted a code for an intriguing film she thought I might like - Captain Fantastic…spooky!


I signed up to http://www.showfilmfirst.com , put in my code and booked two tickets for the Norwich showing. My daughter booked hers for Sheffield. Technically, it cost us the fuel to get to Norwich, but otherwise it was free. We just printed off our tickets and presented them at the cinema, getting our parking ticket validated at the same time. Genius!
I loved the film - it was all I had hoped for and more. My enjoyment was heightened because I knew that Beth was watching it at the same time - I looked forward to talking to her about it afterwards and discussing some of its key points…the thrilling bit of my Cheap Thrill. 
Sure enough, as we returned to the car my phone pinged with a message: ‘Did you enjoy? My favourite bit was the bit where he was naked at the bus door!’ Okay, maybe not the most salient observation she could have made, but I wasn't particularly surprised!!
In actual fact, the most thrilling part about the whole experience for me was, because it was a preview, there were no adverts, no trailers, no ‘buy your popcorn before its too late’- just the film. If that doesn't encourage you to sign up to http://www.showfilmfirst.com, then nothing will! The joy, oh the joy!


1 comment:

  1. Definitely going to sign up for this - we don't go to the cinema nearly as much as I'd like - but it's usually so expensive! Thank you for sharing! xxx

    ReplyDelete