Tuesday 4 October 2016

Run, Jillikins, Run!: Cheap Thrill #9


Run, Jillikins, Run!

I have never been able to run. When I was a child, I suppose I could, but as an adult, never. Even as a teenager I viewed cross country lessons at school as a good opportunity to take the art teacher’s dog for a walk.
So it may come as something of a surprise to you that I have chosen running as this week’s Cheap Thrill. 
Two years ago I was searching for a way of getting fit, having lost some weight but knowing that I still wasn't particularly healthy. I discovered the Couch to 5K programme and thought I’d give it a go.  I used the treadmill at work and slowly began to discover that I could run. I even took part in a couple of Park Runs, although I have to say I didn't particularly enjoy them - as soon as I’m with other people, I put myself under pressure to keep up, forgetting that most of them are under 40, and I’m, well, not!
As with many ventures, life got in the way, and pressure of time meant that I could only realistically run once a week. This led to my fitness levels dropping, and I stopped enjoying it and then - I just stopped.


So pink!
I was determined that, once I retired, I would start to run again, and dusted off my trainers, my lycra (!) and my podcasts. I have determinedly run three times a week, starting from the beginning of the 9 week Couch to 5K programme. And this morning I completed it! Woohoo! OK, strictly speaking, for me it’s more like Couch to 4.2K, but I can now run, non- stop, for 30 minutes.
The great thing is that now I can continue to run three times a week, without feeling that I should be doing something else. Maybe retirement isn’t so bad after all!
I have a strange relationship with running, in that I enjoy it most when I stop, but it gives me a chance to challenge myself, clear my head, think about random things to blog about, say ‘Good morning’ to lots of dog walkers, and occasionally overtake a mobility scooter!

Go for it - you might like it!Couch to 5K
So if you think you can’t run, but feel you’d like to try, give Couch to 5K a go - you may surprise yourself. I know I have.
So there we have it this week’s Cheap Thrill. 
Cheap? Certainly, if you have a pair of trainers, the podcasts are free to download and really supportive.

It's lovely when you stop!
Thrilling? Yes, when you stop! And exercising regularly means that I get to eat cake and drink gin - oh, the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment