Friday 28 October 2016

Making a Connection - Cheap Thrill: #11

Making a connection!
Since my retirement, my hubby and I have been at odds, at various times, over the most ridiculous things. I have to admit that these times have been largely of my making, as I continue to come to terms with this massive change in my life.
However, regardless of how cross or agitated I feel, it all goes away the second he takes my hand in his. This simple gesture makes me feel loved, protected and cared for - not emotions that I have always experienced as an adult. If for any reason we can’t hold hands, there is a kind of ‘disconnect’ that troubles us both, and just feels weird. Equally, if I pull away from the gesture, he knows he is in big trouble!!
Holding hands is a basic human instinct - we are thrilled when our babies first clutch at our fingers, and whenever there is a perceived danger, you hear parents saying, ‘Hold my hand!’, implying that it will keep them safe. 
When I was at work, we spent considerable time and effort as the students got older, teaching them to link arms instead of holding hands. It is such an intimate gesture that, while we clearly needed to keep them safe, holding hands with a student in their teens just seems inappropriate and somehow wrong.

Such good friends!
This week we took my grand-daughter and my great niece out for the day. Although there is almost a three year age difference, they get on really well, and ran off together, holding hands. They didn't need to, but they just wanted to make that connection. And when they want to connect with me - they reach for my hand and it is the most wonderful feeling, when you take the time to appreciate it.

The best feeling...

So, this week’s Cheap Thrill is hand holding. We all do it, whether it's with one of our children or grandchildren, with our partners and loved ones, but take a moment to appreciate how it makes you feel - safe, loved, protected: joy, pure joy!

1 comment: