Wednesday 5 April 2017

The Point of Grandchildren!

Happy Christmas!
In the interest of reducing the amount of ‘stuff’ they seem to have accumulated, last Christmas we gifted my stepson and his family a trip to Legoland. This, of course, included us. It is, after all, the purpose of grandchildren - providing opportunities for old people to have fun!
So after months of waiting, this weekend saw the day finally dawn. My grand-daughter was, in her Mum’s words, ‘ridiculously excited’. So much so that, when she arrived she was completely overawed and spent the first hour or so sitting in her brother’s buggy! My grand-son spent that first hour sitting on his Dad’s shoulders saying, ‘I want to go to Legoland!’, completely oblivious to the fact that he was actually there!
Slowly but surely, with gentle encouragement (we didn't pick them both up and stick them on a ride, honestly) they came out of their shells and started to take in their surroundings. And what surroundings they were. At this point I should tell you that both my stepson and his wife are real Lego geeks, and were almost as ridiculously excited as the girlie, and would happily have spent much of their time in the shops looking at all the bricks! 

Amazing models
It’s a very long time since I have been to a big theme park - probably sixteen years - and I was quite anxious about the crowds, the queues, what to expect and all the other things that I contrive to worry about. But, it was fine - better than fine. The staff were all so friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in whether we were enjoying ourselves. I never once sensed gritted teeth in their enquiries! The park itself was lovely, well maintained, with the right balance of big rides, play areas and amazing Lego models to admire. The children started to explore, look around and express wishes to go on different rides. I did have ‘I don’t like it Nanny’ from the two year old on a whizzy roller coaster, but they coped and posed for a million photos to prove that they were there and enjoying themselves! Some of the queues were just too long, but, because we were there for two days we could move onto something less popular and know we could revisit the next day. 

Thank goodness for the pink flowers!
In truth, on the first day, both children enjoyed the freedom of the play areas, being able to explore at will. It was, however, at this point that I was left alone with both of them and had to decide which one to follow when they ran off in opposite directions! How did I ever cope with taking out groups of special needs children?! I opted for the two year old, but picking out a five year old from a million similarly dressed other five year olds caused me momentary panic! She was there - I just couldn't see her! Thank goodness for her sun hat with outrageously pink flowers on it!

Random Maclaren!
We enjoyed an overnight stay in a nearby hotel, which thrilled the children nearly as much as Legoland! Randomly there was a Formula 1 racing car in the foyer, and all those long corridors to run down! They only took out three suited business people in their excitement! The only stressful points of the trip were that my stepson got lost on the way to the hotel, and my grand-daughter threw up on the way back to Legoland the following morning! Another benefit of grandchildren - it wasn't in our car!

The second day was much more relaxed and less crowded. My grand-daughter suddenly seemed to see the point of it all and was much more adventurous, happily laughing her way around the raft ride while her brother tried to soak us!

Sometimes traditional is fun!
We went in a submarine and saw sharks, we went on spinny-round helicopters and any number of roundabouts. Their grand-dad and I embarrassed ourselves by going on a surf ride - the only adults on there without an accompanying small person! But we had such fun, and who cares!

You can't have too many Lego dogs!
While we were eating lunch, my grand-daughter watched people getting soaked on the log flume from the restaurant window. When we had finished, she said she wanted to go on it. So I took her. The queue was 50 minutes - the longest we’d waited for anything - but she was adamant. I must have asked her twenty times if she was sure - yes, she really was! I have to say that she waited so patiently and as we got closer to the front, other people were getting togged up in waterproof ponchos, which we did not have…and yet she was still sure she wanted to have a turn!
As we got into out ‘log’ I wrapped my legs around her and told her to hold on tight. Initially it was lovely - a gentle ride around the back of the park, with lots of Lego pirates to admire and then we got to the bit where they hoist you up above the crowds. The more I said I’d changed my mind, the more my brave five year old giggled, and when we were released down the slope into the water at the bottom, we both shrieked and laughed and swallowed / snorted bug infested water! 
I look terrified!
I can honestly say I can’t remember the last time I laughed so long and hard! I even bought key rings with the photo of us - one each! I’m hoping that, when I’m too decrepit to do things like that any more, she will always remember the day she got soaked with Nanny!


Not sure who enjoyed it the most! (Me, definitely me!)
We did loads in the two days, but the log flume is my stand out memory. Legoland was exciting, exhausting and huge fun, but spending two whole days in the company of family was what made it really special, and I’m sure that we will relive it many times by looking at the photos and videos again and again. You don't have to go to a theme park to appreciate time with your family, but sometimes a big trip like this serves to remind us how lucky we are and maybe makes us appreciate it a little bit more!

Time with family is precious

No comments:

Post a Comment