Tuesday 17 January 2017

Cheap Thrill #14: A Walk on the Wild Side


Every year, during the months of November to February and about 15 miles north of where we live, Grey Seals use the beach to breed. It has became one of nature’s spectacles, drawing visitors in their hundreds, if not thousands. And that, dear reader, is probably why I’ve never been before…the only times available to me were weekends or the Christmas holidays. Not only did I jealously guard these free times, I also knew that everyone else went to see the seals then and, whilst I can just about bear queueing for a theme park ride, queueing to view a natural event seems a shade perverse. 

Glorious Norfolk skies - the best in the World!
However, lest it escaped your notice, I am now retired! So, having checked the weather forecast, this morning we ventured forth. Bear in mind that not only is this the tail end of the breeding season, but also the Norfolk coast has recently suffered a combination of a tidal surge and high winds, so we were not all that hopeful of seeing anything of note. Undeterred, we paid and displayed and set off to the first ‘Seal Viewpoint’, or more accurately ‘Sand and Sea Viewpoint’. Nothing, nada, zilch, not a hint of a fur coat, and the warden told us that many seals had disappeared during the tidal surge. 
Still, the sun was shining, the Norfolk sky was incredible and we were already togged up for the winter, so we decided to continue to the next viewing point, some 25 minutes further along the path. When we climbed to the top of the steps to reach the summit of the dunes, I saw a couple of lumps on the sand, which we eventually established were grey seals. However, so still were they that I convinced myself that they were dead, until hubby spotted the flick of a flipper. Even so, not exactly mind blowing.

Those rocks are moving!
We walked a bit further and realised that the ‘rocks’ behind the actual rocks were a heaving mass of grey seals, rolling around, hauling themselves in and out of the water and generally chilling in the sun! How exciting! The warden at the official viewing point was talking to another visitor and, as we approached, she indicated that we should be quiet and turn to look behind us. 

Sooo cute!

And there, in the grass, no more than 10 feet away was a baby seal. This evoked in me the sort of noises that I usual reserve for news items about baby pandas and marmosets. Not exactly David Attenborough’s style, but it was completely involuntary! The warden explained that this weaned pup had been up on the dunes since the weekend, and would only move once its hunger had reached the point of needing to go and fish. Interestingly, seal’s aren’t taught by their mothers to fish. Once they  are weaned, they are left to starve until their instinct to feed takes over. 

Waiting for the hunger to kick in...

As we stood taking photos and chatting, we noticed that the pup had started to move and we watched as he struggled to make his way across the dunes towards the beach and the sea. 

Nature at my fingertips!
We were so close, I just couldn't believe it. He even stopped to read all about himself on the noticeboard, which the warden and I found hilarious!

It says here that I'm a grey seal
As we walked back to the car, I was left reflecting how amazing nature is - those seals mate five weeks after they have given birth (I know!!!), but the fertilised eggs are not released into the womb until 12 weeks later, so the pregnancy of nine months coincides with their winter break on the Norfolk coast! Incredible. 

So today, I have enjoyed a lovely walk in the fresh air and sunshine, I have learned an awful lot more about grey seals than I knew before and I have had sufficient ‘sooo cute’ moments to last me at least until the lambs start leaping around the fields. Joy, pure joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment