Sunday 8 January 2017

Cheap Thrill #13: A Winter Walk - lucky for us!

So Christmas is over, I feel fat and sluggish and kind of down. Even though I haven't had the ‘joy’ of going back to work, I’m still experiencing that post Christmas malaise that is unique to January. Time for a cheap thrill methinks.

Definitely made for walking!
On Thursday I should have played tennis, but for the second week running, the courts were frozen solid. In serious need of some fresh air, I dragged my husband on a winter walk. We are lucky enough to live in an amazing part of the world, where we have the choice of both countryside and coast. 

Dangerous sausage rolls nearby!
If we walk along the beach, we usually end up in a fine cafe, eating sausage rolls so, in the interest of our waistlines, we opted for a countryside walk.

Much safer option!
Burgh Castle is just a short drive away and has a lovely circular walk, with some glorious views. As my husband is a volunteer guide there, it also affords him many opportunities to display his extensive knowledge of the Romans and their engineering feats! Despite this, it really is an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so. 
I think the view across to the Berney Arms Mill is one of my all time favourites, and a marsh harrier swooped across as we were standing near the river - stunning.

Stunning view with important added life philosophy!
It wasn't a long or strenuous walk, just beautiful and calming. I felt so much better when we came home, especially as we rewarded ourselves with home made soup and hot drinks! 

Not any old reward, a hygge reward!

So, if you are feeling jaded, drag yourself out for a walk. Wrap up warm and go. It costs nothing, will blow the cobwebs away, and the thought of hot chocolate when you get home will make it all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment