Saturday 31 December 2016

Hibernation - the new Hygge?

Who knew that brushed cotton bed linen and comfy pyjamas could be so dangerous? They have turned me from someone who got up with the lark into a slug-a-bed who would happily stay here all day. In fact I actually am writing this in bed. 

What an indulgence!
My lovely husband brought me my breakfast, the cat is snuggled up at my feet, and I can honestly see no reason to move! I feel totally shameless in embracing hibernation as my lifestyle of choice.
Now, I realise that this choice is afforded to me by
  1. the fact that I have retired
  2. the fact that I have a husband lovely / daft enough to bring me breakfast in bed and
  3. the fact that he knows, as well as I do, that this will quickly pass and the need for fresh air and activity will motivate me to power through this post Christmas malaise
I have no need to move...

I’ve written before about ‘hygge’, the Danish way of life that is all about comfort and kindness and such a part of their culture that they also describe things as being ‘unhyggelic’ when they are unpleasant. As I write this, it is New Year’s Eve and I have to say that in many ways, 2016 has been ‘unhyggelic’. 
When I was younger, my parents always called 31st December ‘Old Year’s Night’ and would feel nostalgia for the year’s passing, not the excitement of new beginnings and resolutions. This notion has remained with me, and I have always felt wistful as Big Ben chimed in a new year. This year, however, I feel differently. On a personal level, 2016 has been better than fine - all my family are in reasonable health, as am I, I find myself with more time to do things that I really want to, and I have discovered that I can make new friends and be connected to people in ways other than as a colleague or teacher. 
But in terms of the wider world, oh my! This time last year, when I wished my friends and family a happy and prosperous 2016 I had no idea how much political turmoil it would bring and, in turn, how much it would affect me. Brexit, for me, was a huge shock and I am still desperately upset at the impact it is likely to have, not only on me and my family but also on where my country sits in the World. And as if that wasn't enough, the USA joined in where the UK had left off and elected Donald Trump - the figure that had been mocked, vilified and lambasted by anyone with half a brain - as their next President! If it was a screenplay, it would have been rejected as too far-fetched - there is no way that Trump and Farage would ever share a stage to thunderous applause…oh wait. And then there is Syria, the immigrant crisis, the increase in terrorist attacks in cities that are extremely close to home, problems with funding public services… Unhyggelic indeed.
So, I am unsure what 2017 will bring. The political landscape is very different now, and there will undoubtedly be a period of coming to terms with what has happened, alongside much to frustrate and anger many of us but, on a personal level I wish everybody well. 

Bigger than your average bottle...
Don't feel the need to make loads of resolutions - as a dear friend put it, doing the best you can do is undoubtedly good enough!

Now, if Im going to do justice to that prosecco, I suppose I should get up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment