Sunday 5 February 2017

Semantics or a Life Philosophy?

One or two things have happened in the past couple of weeks that have made me utter the words ‘It just shows you need to live for the moment’. I then spent a sleepless night wondering how I would actually do that...

Life is a constant worry...
If you google ‘Living for the Moment’ and select images, you are presented with the kind of slogans and posters that regularly fill my Facebook newsfeed. Frankly tosh, I’m afraid! 
If you search for the definition of the idiom that is ‘living for the moment’, google comes up with ‘live or act without worrying about the future’. Is that really such a good thing? In principle it seems like the perfect philosophy - don't worry, be happy etc. etc. It also sounds like the perfect legal defence…
’Why did you steal that car?’ 
‘Oh I was living for the moment, your Honour’
Doesn't really work does it? Rather than a life philosophy it suddenly becomes a mantra for the selfish. I suppose, as one of the great unworking, I am in the position now of being able to live for the moment, but I still don't know how to do it. Life requires planning and thought if it is to provide you with ‘for the moment’ opportunities. There have been many times in the past when my ‘living for the moment’ would have entailed locking myself in a room and crying for days, but I had two children that needed me to function in a more meaningful way. I had to go to work, cook, clean, wash, iron and get them to school / music lessons / clubs. If I’d selfishly surrendered to my needs, I don't think they'd be the rounded and balanced individuals that they are today.

Rounded and balanced - honest!
It could also be argued that living for the moment gives individuals carte blanche to disregard any advice regarding their future health and wellbeing. Anyone stuffing their face with a twelve inch pizza and a tub of Ben and Jerry’s is undoubtedly relishing the fact that they are living for the moment!

Living for the moment!
Of course, I am taking things to an extreme, but I really don't think that when people say ‘live for the moment’ that is actually what they mean. I think ‘live in the moment’ is a more accurate reflection of the philosophy. Appreciate what you have, at that moment in time, don’t put things off and think ‘next time’. 
It may be simple semantics, but I think I would find living in the moment much more achievable than living for the moment. I will always worry about things, past, present and future - its in my make up, my psyche, my bones. If I hear a travel report of an accident in the vicinity of anyone that I know, I automatically assume that it will have involved one of my friends / family. I do try not to immediately text them now, but it’s taken some effort on my part! 
Lots of my issues with depression have their roots in a past that still comes back to haunt me with monotonous regularity - a smell, a sound, a taste can drag me back to feeling lost and desperate with no warning. Equally anxiety about the future, whether it be the health of myself and my family or financial security, clouds my thoughts on a regular basis!

Family time - joyous
So clearly what I need to do is appreciate things as they happen - a walk in the country, a mad game of tennis, afternoon tea with my friends, time spent with family. Let the past go, regard the future as an adventure and let it happen in its own time and…

Live in the moment!

Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment